Think Testing Rather Than Blind Treating
WE RECOMMEND TESTING:
- 4 Weeks Prior To Old Bird Racing
- Mid Old Bird Season During Racing
- 4 Weeks Prior To Young Bird Racing
- Mid Young Bird Season During Racing
- Prior To Moulting
- Prior To Breeding
THE TESTING CENTRE DETECTS:
- Worms - Roundworm & Hairworm
All results are given on the day of receipt at the Pigeon Testing Centre.The results are given by telephone but can also be emailed at the fancier's request.
ABOUT TESTING & WHY IT IS BENEFICIAL:
Over years of experience we have seen the benefits of testing the general health of your pigeons
Advisory pointers to look out for where we recommend you test:
- Loose droppings or change in droppings
- Loss of weight and condition
- Decreased desire to fly
- Generally looking unwell
- Order a test kit which will arrive within a few days
- Complete the enclosed form with your details
- Collect a dropping sample - the chosen section you are testing, please collect five samples of droppings and place into the test tube provided. Please ensure you label your sample appropriately e.g. racing hens
- Collect a crop/swab sample - do not swab pigeons after feeding as this can affect their results, always swab prior to feeding. It is easier if you have a second person to hold the pigeon, open the beak, gently stretching the neck upwards, dampen the swab bud under a warm tap and gently swab down the throat into the pigeons crop, moving around to get a good covering on the swab. Place into the tube containing gel and screw tight. Carry this out on six pigeons from the section chosen. If you are unsure how to carry out the swab, please watch the video.
- Post test kit - Place the completed form and both samples into the addressed envelope provided, seal & post 1st class, usually a Royal Mail 1st Class Large Letter Stamp will suffice. Recorded postage or Next Day Delivery before 1pm for speedy results is optional. Please note we do not work weekends or bank holidays) and we cannot accept responsibility for any lost or damaged kits.
- Results - We will test your samples & provide the results on the day of receipt at the Pigeon Testing Centre. The results are given by telephone but can also be emailed at the fancier's request.
For more severe problems please consult your avian vet.
The Pigeon Testing Centre should not replace your avian veterinary advice.
The microscopy testing is to give you a guideline of their overall health.